Friday, April 20, 2012

The Elements of this New Life....

So fast forward to now. I was going to spend time catching you up on the last 7 weeks. But decided to drop you directly into now, today, because this is what is happening. I trust the whole process will emerge as I continue (as I'm beginning to have an inkling that healing has something to do with fully living the mystery, the unknown of each moment.)

Today my new (used) car arrives. Finally, 8 weeks after the accident. This idea of an accident is even in question today. As last night I saw a fellow shamanic practitioner friend who greeted me with a grin and the words, "your brain didn't fall out!" I liked her sense of humor, but have to admit, I was stunned. "Did you hear," I asked her?  "Hear what" she replied?  She laughed and said, "Last time we journeyed together you had a vision that your brain fell out and you couldn't find it." "But it didn't," she grinned.

The words that were running thru my brain at that particular moment were, "holy s..t, holy s..t", a silent inner mantra as I tried to make sense of what she had just said. I just stared at her, on the verge of maniacal laughter. "Well...," I said slowly, "that's really interesting. I recently had a car accident, got a severe concussion and am now working with PCS (post concussion syndrome). I feel like my brain feel out and I can't find it."

It was her turn to stare blankly at me.  Since we were both late for a meeting, we kind of left the conversation there.  Later, at home, I rummaged through journals to find a record of that particular vision. Couldn't find any record. Leaves me wondering. Were my helping spirits giving me a premonition of what was to come?

It traveled 2000 miles to get here. 
Meanwhile, the Element has arrived. Honda Element that is. The (pun intended) new element of my life. The element that will cart me from place to place. My black CR-V has been replaced by a Burnt Orange Element. There's something fitting about this. Perhaps my transforming self needs a new exterior persona, from dark into blazing color,  the phoenix rising from the ashes, the burnt orange phoenix.  Well, check that off the list. it's taken care of.

Two days after the accident, when I was saying good-bye to the CR-V, which had only been with me for 10 short months, I naturally, spoke with the spirit of the car.  The same spirit I had spoken to on the day I purchased that black steed, when it said it was in my life to help me "step fully onto my shamanic path."  Honestly, I should have asked for more info then, as a cliff diving adventure together was not the way I expected "stepping more fully on the path" to emerge. When I said good-bye, I thanked that spirit for keeping me quite safe in a rather treacherous situation, no broken bones, only a trickle of blood.  I wondered, was it the spirit that kept the driver's side of the vehicle completely unscratched, so that I would be able to get out of the car myself, while the passenger side was completely obliterated? Was this an adventure in learning to trust an 'unseen' world?  Doing so is important for a shamanic practitioner.

That day I said goodbye to the CR-V, I didn't really have any inkling how much of another lifetime I was saying goodbye to. I still cringe a little each time I see a black CR-V on the road. I realize I can't quite look directly at it. I miss my CR-V. I miss the wild traveling spirit of it. I miss the person I was before I had a traumatic brain injury, when my right arm did all the things it's habitually done for years, before my left arm had to step up to the plate. Just now as I write this, I realize, it's the 'passenger side' of my body that's not working so well right now. And, how ironic, and it's the top of this body-vehicle (my brain) that's a bit wonky. Hmmmm...there's a metaphor in there somewhere. 

Slow forward... (never even bother to attempt purchasing a car during mercury retrograde.)

After seeing the car, post-accident, there was never any doubt I would replace it with another Honda. While the CR-V only gets 3 out of 5 stars for safety rating in a rollover, mine fell 40+ feet in the air before landing on it's roof.  Yet, there was only a slightly crunched roof edge on the passenger side, a small spider crack in the windshield. Safety ratings are one thing. Living through an accident in your car is another.


So, now there is a new spirit to establish a relationship with, the spirit of the Orange Honda Element who sprinkled a trail of purple magic from Massachusetts to Colorado, as she traveled the miles on an American Auto Transport car carrier.  This orange Element(al) spirit is a bit of a pixie. She's rather light, has a vintage kind of feel. She moves a little slower. She's artsy, even impish, a bit like I am after 10pm. I wonder what adventures we will share. I wonder who is this new me emerging who will travel about in  an orange car? What new life am I saying hello to?

4 comments:

  1. Suu-I'm following this and really am honored that you are allowing me (and others) to be voyeurs of your journey. I was drawn in initially by the CR-V! We currently have one that we've had for about 4 years, and just sold one that we had had for 10 years. I love our CR-Vs and do feel their spirit. Since it's an AWD vehicle, I had never seen the need for snow tires. However, my husband, who is the only person on earth I know who actually relishes the assignment of shopping for tires, finally won me over, and we got some of those soft rubber snow tires for ours. I am a snow tire convert. Any way, your Element looks delightful and particularly suited for your transformation. The one thing that has always struck me about Honda Elements is the extremely generous headroom. I hope you heal well and grow in all that space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa.
      Great to meet you. Happy to share the journey. OMGosh, I love snow tires, specially studded ones. They always made me feel so safe.

      The element IS spacious inside and has some fun & cool features (ones I often wished my CR-V had ;). I love your wish for me growing in all that space.

      Blessings to you and your snow-tired CR-V. Would love to hear more about the spirit of it.
      Boundless Blessings,
      ~suu

      Delete
    2. Hi Suu,

      We met for real almost 35(!) years ago, and it's not your brain that's causing you not to remember me. It's my faux pas. I'm new to the blog thing; haven't yet followed one but hear lots of people talking about them. In my newness, I didn't realize that my name doesn't show up somehow for you to recognize me. I'm Lisa E. from NLCS. Found your blog via FB.

      We had a used 1999 green CRV which our daughter, Grace, named Pepper. We bought the car in 2002, smack dab in the middle of the in vitro fertilization that brought Grace to us. Pepper will always be special to me for that reason alone. In addition, she had the good manners to never break down except for one time, and that was in the driveway of our own house. It doesn't get better than that. Our current CRV is a 2006 (the last year that they made them with standard transmissions) and is a slate beauty. She comfortably took us across the country and home again 2 summers ago without a hitch. Well, actually, it does have a hitch... She doesn't see the action she used to because we got a prius which gets such good gas mileage the CRV now only hits the road as the second stringer, going the shorter distance for the day. Enough car talk.

      Traumatic Brain Injury-what a hand. I was listening to someone whose child lost the use of her right arm due to spinal cord surgery a couple of years ago. This young girl (I think she's 10) has named her arm Silly and is not hindered by her less useful appendage. It's another part of her, as much as her brown hair, sense of humor and beautiful eyes are a part of her. I don't know where that kind of inner peace and wisdom comes from, but I want to get me some of that.

      Cheers!..........Lisa

      Delete
    3. H Lisa! What a surprise. Love hearing about your storie of Grace and the CR-Vs. seems like you have gotten very well mannered Hondas ;). And I would like to get me soe of that inner wisdom of the child as well. Actually that may be exactly what I am being offered in this situation. More to come on how and if I can receive and offer just that..

      Meanwhile, I'm getting to be quite the lefty. Good thing I have always been interested in the wonder of ambidexterity. Wo knew I was in training for the possibility of a major shift later in life ;)

      Xxo
      ~suu

      Delete